Benefits of Incorporating Mindfulness in the Classroom
These are the 10 main areas where mindfulness can have a huge positive impact:
- Attention and focus
- Better grades
- More effective emotion regulation
- Better behavior in school
- Greater empathy and perspective-taking
- Better social skills
- Reduced test anxiety
- Less stress
- Decreased frequency/severity of posttraumatic symptoms
- Lower rates/severity of depression
A recent study on mindfulness education in schools discovered that:
- Mindfulness helps students and staff manage anxiety and stress more effectively and resolve it better and faster.
- Frequent mindfulness practice has immense health benefits.
- Mindfulness programs can improve cognitive performance and memory.
- It helps students better manage emotions and communicate more effectively.
- Students taking mindfulness sessions have higher self-awareness and self-regulation.
- Mindfulness has a positive effect enhancing memory and concentration, and reducing mind-wandering/daydreaming.
- It helps mitigate or reduce ADHD symptoms.
Our mindfulness programmes are delivered in short weekly sessions that involve both the principles and practice of mindfulness in fun interactive sessions.
Depending on the specific school and the program they choose, the curriculums may include information on important concepts and definitions (e.g., awareness, acceptance, mindfulness, meditation), exercises (e.g., the body scan, mindful breathing, mindful awareness of the senses), and other mindfulness content that can be used by students in class or at home (e.g., guided meditations, relaxation imagery, written instructions, videos).
We also have several practices for the younger ages proven to have major positive results.