Sweet Myrrh resin is a sap like substance that exudes from the barks of the Commiphora holtziana tree. Traditionally, Sweet Myrrh was used as a fragrance, for embalming bodies by Egyptians, as food flavouring, for treating wounds and the paste was used to stop bleeding and as a treatment of hay fever. It was often burned at funerals and solemn occasions as a symbol of suffering.
Botanical Name: Commiphora holtziana
Aromatic Description: Amber, woody, smoky and sweet
Part of plant distilled: Resin.
Colour: Greenish with a viscous consistency.
Main compounds: Terpenoids and sesquiterpenes.
Method of Extraction: Steam distillation.
Properties: Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal and therapeutic.
SKIN AND HAIR CARE–
- Soothes cracked patches.
- Prevents aging and reduces wrinkles.
- Moisturizes skin and keeps it healthy.
- Tones the skin and helps to clear marks and scars.
- Prevents hair loss by strengthening roots.
- Fights fasciolasis.
- Helps decrease the symptoms of the infection as well as parasite’s egg count.
- Used for massages as a muscle relaxant.
- Eases troubled thoughts by quieting the mind.
- Sets a tranquil yet intense mood.
- Relieves respiratory diseases by relieving congestion and reducing phlegm.
- Helps treat ‘hyperthyroidism’.
- Treats athletes’ foot and ring worms.
- Promotes tissue repair and clears toxins from the body.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
- Add a few drops into your diffuser.
- Add several drops to your hot bath.
- Add to household cleaning agents.
- Add a few drops in hot water or onto a hot towel and inhale.
- Blend with other oils and spray.
Always conduct a test patch on the inner forearm by applying diluted essential oil and give it time, if it does not show adverse reactions use on other parts of the body.
- Mix with carrier oils and apply on hair or skin.
- Rub a few drops between your palms.
- Add to your moisturizer for toning and rejuvenation of the skin.
- Add a few drops to a damp towel and apply directly to inflamed areas.
- Place a hot towel with a few drops of the oil on the chest for respiratory decongestion.
- Dilute and burn in an oil burner.
- Not for internal use.
- If with any medical condition related to heart or skin consult a medic first.
- Keep away from sunlight.
- Slightly flammable. Store away from heat.
- Avoid contact with eyes, nose, ears and mucous membranes.
- Do not use on already damaged skin.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women, infants, young children and people with serious medical conditions should ALWAYS consult a physician before using essential oils.